Ten Tips for Dealing with an Auto Accident
Once every seven years, the average driver is involved in an auto accident. When that happens, it’s smart to know what you need to do to protect yourself and your vehicle, and put yourself on the road to a quick, high-quality repair. Here are a few tips to keep in mind and share with the drivers in your family:
- Turn off your vehicle’s engine and leave it where it is as long as you feel it’s safe. If you feel threatened or your car is in danger of being hit by another car, slowly drive to a safer place, such as the side of the road or a well-lit parking lot.
- Keep calm. Be tactful and courteous, even if you’re angry.
- Assess the degree of impact and determine whether you are injured. If you think you’re hurt in any way, stay in your car and try to relax. Be honest if anyone asks how you are. Ask someone to call for help, and let a professional assess your condition.
- Provide medical help to others ONLY if you are trained to do so.
- Evaluate the damage to your vehicle. When examining the accident scene, NEVER walk directly between the two cars. If one is hit again, you could become trapped between the two vehicles.
- Call the police to report the accident. Dial 911 first, if that doesn’t work, dial 0 and ask for the police.
- Don’t say the accident was your fault, even if you believe it was.
- Call 1-800-CARSTAR to request a tow, arrange for a rental car, contact a family member and call your insurance agent.
- Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses. If you can’t get their names, at least get their license plate numbers.
- Exchange names, addresses, license numbers and insurance information with any other drivers involved in the accident.
It’s smart to have an accident plan in place before an auto accident occurs. Click this Carstar Accident Plan link then print out the plan to keep in each vehicle so it is there when you need it.
By identifying Precision CARSTAR as your body shop of choice in advance you’re not forced to make a sudden decision at the accident scene. At Precision CARSTAR we are committed to providing the highest-quality repair and getting you back on the road quickly.